Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark

Eowin
Beginner
EQ Next Landmark
on: April 22, 2014, 17:48

Hello Everyone,

I recently got into the closed beta of EQ Next Landmark (Not to be confused with EQ Next- which will be a separate game). So what is Landmark?

Landmark is essentially a sandbox building game. Through Landmark, players will be able to craft and make things that will appear in the EQ next world. Both games are being developed simultaneously. Here's a brief description:

When EverQuest Next Landmark launches later this year, Sony Online Entertainment intends for it to function as both a precursor to EverQuest Next and viable MMO experience in its own right. With its strong sandbox overtones, Landmark’s purpose is to introduce players to the EverQuest Next experience while encouraging them to play an active part in shaping its future.

“MMOs have basically been the same for the past 15 years,” states EverQuest Next senior producer Terry Michaels. “They've been polished and improved on some things but really the core game hasn't changed much, so we wanted to create something new.”

Michaels goes on to explain that Landmark’s origins are found in the building blocks (or “Voxels”) of EverQuest Next and the tools used to sculpt its worlds. Having established that the process of terrain deformation is a fun one, the development team set about creating an entire experience around it and so EverQuest Next Landmark was born.

Players begin their experience on one of several continents whose key identifier will, aptly enough, be a landmark on the scale of the Great Pyramids or the Colossus of Rhodes. Playing as an adventurer, the primary goal and game play mechanics involve venturing out into the world to stake a claim on a plot of land, which increases in size as players gain experience. Then, by granting specific permissions to others, players can work together to transform a dusty outcrop into an impressive edifice using the variable sized Voxel brush and smoothing tool.

With a fully alterable landscape, this live editing process will be restricted only by the player’s creativity and the tools and materials they have at their disposal, which increase in scope and complexity over time.

So, so far I've been playing since about Friday. I've crafted some tools and workstations and staked my claim (with 3 additional pieces of land attached to it.) Now remember, this is very early closed beta- so there have not been mobs added to the game yet- which will come in a future patch. I will add some photos of what I've been able to build so far. Keep in mind that I'm really an amateur compared to some of the players- some of their stuff is crazy.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.